Monday, November 23, 2009

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

I love that the verse above is actually three verses. It helps me to realize that each one is equally important. Rejoice. Pray. Give thanks. Its all God's will. Three things that we seem to forget to do so often in todays society. When everything around us is easily accessible, the moment we don't get something we want we are quick to complain. I think that the three verses are also connected though. When we are rejoicing, we are prone to pray and thus give thanks for what we do have! and same with when we are praying or giving thanks!

Prayer has been on my heart a lot lately though. Have you ever had some free time and thought to yourself, "This would be a good time to pray," and then thought you had "nothing" to pray about? Did you ever think how selfish that really is? Sure you might not have something to pray about that involves you, but what about the rest of the world? The needs in other countries, your friends, your family. Not to mention simply telling God the things you are thankful for! (Thus the "give thanks" portion of the verse!) Really the list of things to pray about should be endless because a prayer isn't a wish list, it is a personal conversation with our Best Friend, our Creator, and our Savior.

Sometimes we belittle the power of prayer too. It frustrates me when I know that people are having a rough time and I can't be with them for any number of reasons. It's so comforting to know that no matter what people are going through though, I can pray for them from my own home.

Rejoice. Pray. Give Thanks.
Happy Thanksgiving!
-Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment