Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Philippians 1:21

"For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

I love the dilemma that Paul discusses in this passage.

22 "If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account."

In my longings to be with Christ in Heaven, it becomes easy to forget what Paul points out here regarding his life in the flesh here on earth. He views his time here as 'fruitful labor', which makes him realize the necessity of his existence. Our purpose here on earth is to glorify God and God is glorified when there is true fruit in our lives; fruit that can only be produced through Him in a heart that is truly in love with Him. A heart that understands the purpose of living and the purpose of dying. We don't live so that we will one day die, we die so that we will one day live.

No comments:

Post a Comment